Bubble Nebula and Northern Lagoon Nebula
NGC 7635, also known as the Bubble Nebula (upper right), is an H II region emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia. It is located 8 000 light-years away from Earth. The “bubble” is created by the stellar wind from a massive, hot, young central star.
This image was taken using the Starfield Optics 8inch astrograph equipped with a Starizona Nexus F3 reducer/corrector for F3. A QHY268M cooled cmos camera was also used along with a QHY electronic filter wheel with Optolong filters inside; Ha-OIII-R-G-B filters were used to capture this data.
This remarkably spherical cosmic cloud is the result of a giant star 45 times the mass of our Sun and a million times brighter.
At approximately 4 million miles per hour, the star emits streams of charged particles known as stellar winds into space. The winds of this star have pushed cold interstellar gas and dust outwards, creating the nebula’s bubble shape.
The Northern Lagoon Nebula, NGC 7538 (lower left), near the more famous Bubble Nebula, is located in the constellation Cepheus. It is about 9,100 light-years from Earth. It is home to the biggest yet discovered protostar which is about 300 times the size of the Solar System. It is located in the Cepheus’ Arm of the Milky Way.
- Starfield Optics 8″ Astrograph (native F4) https://bit.ly/3cvNGXh
- Starizona NEXUS .75 reducer/coma corrector for F3 https://bit.ly/3MCijaB
- QHY268M CMOS Camera (https://bit.ly/3Aj23FE), 26mp, 3.76um @ -10C
- QHY CFW3-L 7 position https://bit.ly/3jAp9Sb
- Optolong filters https://bit.ly/3dvhqBa
- Skywatcher EQ6 mount / Skyshed Pier (Skyshedpod.com)
- Pegasus Astro Focus Cube (EAF) https://bit.ly/3dzagfr
- NINA 2.0 for acquisition
- Processed in PixInsight
- Seeing and transparency: average to good
- Total integration time: 16 hours (1min subs at high gain)
- Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Buying astro gear? Help support my efforts in bringing the astro community new content (videos, tutorials, tips, reviews) by using these affiliate links to purchase astro equipment. I’ll receive a small commission at no cost to you.
New to Pixinsight image processing? Get in touch! I provide one-on-one lessons via Zoom.
Join other supporters on my Patreon here: https://bit.ly/3v5dEaB
You can also buy me a coffee via Paypal! https://paypal.me/visibledark