Visit my Patreon page and become a Patron…
I had the opportunity to try out the Starfield 80mm triplet Gėar series APO refractor. This is a new telescope from Starfield Optics, a Canadian company.
The fit and finish of the telescope is quite nice. It’s well designed and has a number of useful features commonly found on more expensive telescopes.
This is a wide field imaging telescope and it easily fit the entire M31 galaxy in the FOV with room to spare.
The Starfield 80mm triplet refractor uses FPL53 (Ohara, Japan) optics which is premium glass. An optics report is also included with each telescope detailing the test results carried out on the telescope optics prior to shipping.
The telescope is equipped with a retractable dew shield. It also comes with heavy duty rings for mounting and an extra long vixen style dovetail which is nice since competing telescopes tend to have small dovetails included for some reason. The Starfield 80 also has a useful and practical handle for carrying but also designed to mount accessories.
Its 2.5″ Rack and Pinion 2 speed focuser is smooth and solid to the touch.
The Camera Angle Rotator that is part of the Starfield 80 design is well thought out and will let you frame up your object easily. It also has zero flexure.
The 2.5 focuser can carry heavy camera payloads as well.
Multicoated optics are standard and each Gėar series telescope comes with a hard case and optical test report.
Available from Starfield Optics: https://starfieldoptics.com/gear-80-80mm-edt
- Air-spaced 80mm F6 Doublet ED lens system
- 480mm focal length
- Fully multi coated (STM Coatings)
- Resolving Power (Dawes’ Limit) 1.45 arc seconds
- Visual Limiting Magnitude 12.2 maximum
- Weight approx. 7.7lbs,
- Aluminum tube with matte powder coat and hard anodizing finish.
- Retractable dew shield.
- 2.5″ “Rack ‘n Pinion” Geared dual speed focuser with 1:10 micro-fully rotatable focuser. Focuser rotator rides on a Teflon bushing allowing for smooth rotation.
- Self-Centering 2″ to 1.25″ reducer with brass compression rings included.
- Vixen style dovetail
- HD CNC Tube rings and Handle